Saturday 21 July 2012

These Days with Joey... Life Lessons I've Learned from my Preschooler

My son, Joey, can be the cutest, smartest, sweetest, most frustrating, time-consuming, make-you-want-to-scratch-your-own-eyeballs-out, preschooler on the planet.  Now, I do understand that that does describe most preschoolers... the only difference is that this describes most other preschoolers SOME of the time.  However, it describes mine MOST of the time.  There are days when I just start laughing because there is no other alternative.  I must either laugh, or go insane.
There are days when the insanity comes fairly close to winning.
There are days when I'm not entirely sure that I haven't gone over the edge and perhaps the argument I'm having about whether he should be allowed to pee in the grass instead of the toilet isn't actually happening.
But, he has taught me so many things about myself and life and I have grown so much in the last 3 and a half years.  So I thought I would record them for posterity, so I can re-read them and remind myself when I feel like I'm losing my mind.  (In other words, probably tomorrow).

Life Lessons by Joey:
#1 -- When someone is upset, the best thing to do is look them in the eye and apologise.  You can avert 90% of nasty confrontations this way.  (Unless your mom had very little sleep last night, and you're supposed to be napping, but you wake your baby brother up by screaming in protest from your room).

#2 -- If someone is staring at you in a vacant sort of way, shoot them a great big, cheesy grin.  It'll probably make their day! (Either that, or they'll wonder what you're up to).

#3 -- If you're supposed to get something done, and you haven't, don't waste too much time explaining.  People are not interested in the reasons you haven't gotten it done, they just want you to do it.  (If it takes longer to make excuses than to actually do it, then just do it and be quiet... also see #1).

#4 -- Snuggles can make most things better.  Have you hugged someone today?

#5 -- Telling someone that they've done a good job and appreciating their hard work goes a long way.  (And if you keep making Mommy feel appreciated, maybe she'll keep picking up your toys).

#6 -- If you use your manners and don't whine there is a better chance of the answer being "yes."  (If you forgot and you whined, see #1).

#7 -- If the answer is still no, and you accept it calmly, there is a pretty good chance something else just as good or better will come your way.

#8 -- If you yell and scream and demand your own way, the answer will DEFINITELY be "no."

#9 -- Time outs are essential for everyone.  Calming down isn't just for kids.

#10 -- Don't underestimate the impact of a well-timed "I love you."  People need to know.  People need to hear it.  It doesn't get old.  It makes a difference.

Thanks Joey.  You've made me a wiser woman, and a better mommy by being your mommy.  I'm privileged and blessed to have you for one of my boys.  I hope and pray that one day, another lucky woman will feel privileged and blessed to have you as her man.

No comments:

Post a Comment